California State University, Fresno
College of Arts & Humanities
Department of Art & Design
Title: Graphic Design
Rank: Assistant Professor
Status: Tenure Track
Start: Fall 2021 (August 2021)
We are seeking an innovative designer with a strong commitment to teaching, sophisticated graphic design skills, a record of incorporating new technologies in the design field and significant professional experience. The successful candidate will teach lower and upper-division courses of graphic design within a Graphic Design BFA program. Specific assignments will depend on department needs. Outcomes assessment, service learning, and project-based learning are important components of the university curriculum. Faculty members are expected to engage in service activities at all levels of the university and provide academic and professional advice to students. The successful candidate will be expected to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with faculty, staff, and administration. Other duties will include, but not be limited to, participating in program development, actively engaging in research and/or creative problem-solving activities, and committee service at all levels of university governance.
Our Students: California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI), and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Required Education (from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent.):
An earned M.F.A. with an emphasis in Graphic Design or related field.
- Minimum of two years of significant and relevant professional experience in the graphic design field
- A strong online portfolio demonstrating knowledge and skills indicative of the field of Graphic Design
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Expertise in current graphic design applications
- Experience and insight into the traditional and contemporary methods of graphic design, including both theoretical and practical/applied aspects
- Expertise and insight into the digital craft of graphic design as applied to screen-rendered media, such as websites, user interface design, and motion graphics
- Knowledge of current and foundational theories and methods in User Experience and/or User Interface Design as it applies to Graphic Design
- A background in the historic, cultural and social evolution of Graphic Design from both a technical and artistic perspective
- Significant and relevant corporate, agency, or freelance design experience for clients
- College teaching experience
- A record of active participation or leadership roles in relevant professional organizations
- Experience with curriculum development, knowledge and application of contemporary theories and pedagogy in Graphic Design, Typography and User Experience Design
- Demonstrate aspects of experimental or research design experience
Application Procedures: The review of applications will begin November 9, 2020, and will continue until the position is filled. This position automatically closes May 1, 2021. Apply online at http://jobs.fresnostate.edu.
Provide names and contact information of three references using the online form and attach the following:
- Letter of interest or cover letter addressing required experience and preferred qualifications
- Current CV
- A statement addressing your commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Unofficial transcript
- A link to a portfolio website with examples demonstrating the applicant's skills and proficiencies related to this position, as well as examples of work by previous students, where applicable. The portfolio website needs to be accessible for evaluation during the entire search process. Finalists will be reviewed again during a time window to be determined by the search committee.
Candidates invited for an on-campus visit must submit the following by the designated deadline when requested. The Search Chair will send information and requests for these items:
- Three current letters of recommendation (dated within the last 12 months)
- Official transcripts
Search Chair: Rusty Robison, Search Committee Chair
Department of Art & Design
College of Arts & Humanities
About Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community are expected to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect, and ethical behavior, please visit http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity. The campus is ranked 24th in the nation by Washington Monthly; ranked 3rd by U.S. News & World Report in graduation rate performance for public institutions, and ranked 41st in the nation in MONEY Magazines 50 Best Public Colleges.
Tenure-Track Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process. For additional information, please visit: www.fresnostate.edu/academics/facultyaffairs/procedures/facultyrtp/. We value our commitment to the success of our faculty by providing services from the Center for Faculty Excellence to Research and Sponsored Programs.
Other Campus Information:
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. An offer of employment may be withdrawn or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements outlined in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.