Enterprise Applications Programmer – Expert
(Analyst/Programmer - Expert)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $7,125 - $8,638 a month
Full classification Salary Range: $6,249 - $12,100 a month
- This is a full-time, probationary, exempt position. Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Technology Services provides administrative information services, core services, and desktop support to the Fresno State community. Our department consists of a well trained team of individuals dedicated to providing effective technology and quality services and support that are integrated into the daily activities of the entire campus.
The Enterprise Applications Programmer is a senior technical leader recognized as an organizational leader who has a high degree of knowledge of the overall field and exceptional expertise in specific areas such as PS CS and/or HR. This professional leads projects, and guides or directs technical plans, of significant importance and contributes to the overall strategic goals of the university. Working with a high degree of autonomy, ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness, this professional regularly resolves complex issues where analysis requires an in-depth evaluation and/or structure, while independently exercising judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. They administer complex campus-wide mission-critical systems and solve significant and unique issues, and independently apply technical and non-technical judgment and discretion to solve a wide range of problems and develop practical and thorough solutions. This professional will perform highly technical analyses and provide solutions that are innovative and creative. They contribute to and influence organizational policy and program development, while overseeing programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources. Professionals at this level generally provide technical work direction or guidance to lower level staff and may coordinate the activities of other personnel and provide input on the performance of others.
- Provide technical and system administration support services for the system coordination of the PeopleSoft Systems, third-party applications and related system interfaces including application program development, maintenance and documentation
- Interact with outside IT Solution Providers for systems and consulting resources to ensure effective support for current operations and identify and direct proposed IT system evolution to new releases and/or product mixes.
- Evaluate and troubleshoot third party software.
- Interact with CMS, vendor support staff and Technology Services staff in implementing recommended resolutions. Assist in quality assurance testing for the application of system patches, releases, and upgrades to the development and testing data bases, and assist and direct functional testing of these environments prior to their being moved to production.
- Coordinate with change control staff and CMS when needed in the move to production.
- Provide technical solutions to meet business processing requirements.
- Coordinate with and maintain a positive working relationship with other information technology resources on campus, in CMS and at other CSU campuses to best serve the changing campus administrative computing needs.
- Provide recommendations to the Director on tactical and strategic technical resource decisions.
- Coordinate with change control staff and CMS when needed in the move to production
- Coach, mentor and motivate others to help them achieve project expectations and deliverables
- Collaborate with customers and Technology Services resources to define potential solutions that improve processes, provide value, and that are keeping with business strategies; document current and to-be business processes
- Provide technical leadership to the Technology Services staff on the different technologies used by the department.
- Provide project coordination between the Technology Services staff and campus users. This include project management, as well as leading coordination meetings with core users.
- May provide work direction or guidance on projects and assignments
- Perform other duties as assigned
Secondary Duties of the job include:
- Participation in PeopleSoft User Teleconferences for the campus
Minimum Requirements: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Capable of maintaining effective working relationships with others.
• Ability to perform systems and applications needs analysis, prepare requests for proposals, and conduct feasibility studies.
• Excellent analytical, communication and writing skills
• Ability to apply consultative skills to assess user needs and communicate technology solutions.
• Working knowledge of administrative systems development and workflow processes.
• Ability to analyze business computing needs, design appropriate solutions, employ programming tools and see projects through completion with little supervision.
• Strong customer service and can-do attitude with enthusiasm for working in a collaborative team-oriented environment
• Strong ability to perform interactive debugging to test and analyze program failures
• Creative problem solving / strategic thinking skills to improve processes and solve complex problems.
• Strong understanding of best practice coding techniques and testing skills.
• Excellent analytical skills, debugging techniques and root cause analysis skills.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize, take initiative, and work well under pressure.
• Must be flexible and able to work independently or in a team environment.
• Desire and willingness to learn and implement new technologies.
• Excellent written and advanced verbal communication skills (including exceptional listening, mentoring and collaboration abilities).
• Proven recent technical end to end development on major projects and modifications. Proven ability to create new development unassisted based on functional specifications.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business or related discipline. Qualifying experience may be substituted for required education.
- Training and recent experience that demonstrates competence in systems analysis and applications programming for client/server relational database administrative systems.
- Ten years or more work experience in applications programming and related programming support functions in a client/server relational database application system. PeopleSoft CS/HR, Student Administration or Financials experience is desirable
- Ten years or more work experience writing SQL statements, preferably Oracle SQL
- Ten years or more of PeopleSoft or similar Student Information System (SIS) development experience
- Proven experience in developing program implementation plans, install software, and apply fixes
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Experience in higher education or public service agency
• Experience with a modern web application development framework
• Knowledge of web technology and accessibility standards
• Strong understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle
• Project management experience
• Expert working knowledge of Oracle Relational Database Systems
• Experience with and working knowledge of Web-based Portal Technologies
• Minimum 7-10 years of technical experience developing and supporting the PeopleSoft HCM application preferably Human Resources version 9.2 or higher and PeopleTools version 8.56 or higher.
• Proven advanced technical expertise within the Human Resources application, Absence Management module preferred. Development skills include expert proficiency with Integration Broker, PeopleTools, PeopleCode, Application Designer, Application Engine, Application Packages, Component Interfaces, Configuration Manager, SQL/SQR, XML Publisher. Preferred expertise with Web Services, PeopleSoft Update Manager (PUM) or Change Assistant.
• Excellent application implementation lifecycle skills including experience with: translating business requirements into technical designs, contributing to fit/gap analysis, application configurations, and technical specifications.
• Expert knowledge of PeopleSoft rules-based processing is preferred.
• Experience in RESTful or SOAP-based Web Service development and application integration using APIs
• Experience working in a Linux server-based operating system environment and ability to interact with the system at the command line; including the ability to view and search log files and use tools such as ssh/sftp and curl
• Experience with automating various tasks using scripting languages such as Python, bash shell scripting, etc.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Recruitment is open until filled. Applications received by May 9, 2021 will be given full consideration by the search committee. Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.