Full-Time Lecturer in Lyles College of Engineering
College Overview [College website]
The Lyles College of Engineering, California State University, Fresno, offers seven Bachelor of Science degree programs in Architectural Studies, Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Geomatics Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, and graduate degree programs/options in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
The Valley Industry Partnership (VIP) Program in the Lyles College of Engineering at California State University, Fresno is a cooperative partnership between leading companies and the Lyles College of Engineering to provide internship opportunities for qualified students of Junior or Senior Level Standing. The goal of the program is to provide a well-rounded educational experience for students. Twenty seven companies are currently part of the program.
- This full time academic-year faculty position is split between assigned duties as Director of the Valley Industry Partnership (VIP) Program and teaching. This position reports to the Dean of the Lyles College of Engineering or designee.
- The initial appointment will be a 3-year Full-Time beginning August 17, 2021 - May 30, 2024; with a possibility of reappointment to an additional 3-years after evaluation.
- Appointees will be required to demonstrate eligibility to work in the United States (Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for Lecturer positions).
As VIP Director, the candidate will coordinate the internship program, manage the internship program budget, work cooperatively with the industry council representing the companies participating in the internship program, seek out new industry participants into the program, promote and foster positive relations with faculty and students in the Lyles College of Engineering, other programs at Fresno State and regional community colleges to recruit qualified students into the internship program, interact with other internship coordinators on campus, provide feedback to respective academic departments regarding intern performance and preparation to aid in curricular decision making, provide new intern training, insure the overall quality of the internship experience by providing feedback to the companies, faculty, and the interns.
As lecturer, the candidate may be required to teach undergraduate courses in Electrical and Computer Engineering or Mechanical Engineering, freshmen introductory design, engineering analysis/application, professional development courses or courses in area of expertise. Graduate level teaching may also be possible. Other responsibilities may include mentoring student projects, instruction, and university service. Specific assignments will depend on College needs. The successful candidate will be expected to work cooperatively with faculty and staff in the college and university.
Instructor Responsibility: The instructor is responsible for adherence to and implementation of university and system-wide policies as directed per Academic Policy Manual 306, paragraph 2. Instructor will be responsible for the preparation, delivery, conducting, proctoring, and grading (as appropriate) lectures, office hours, homework assignments, quizzes, class project, and midterm and final exams.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Education (from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent.): A graduate level degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or related fields required. Candidates with an MBA shall have a BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or related fields.
- Demonstrated commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Candidates are expected to demonstrate excellent communication and multi-disciplinary industry interaction and organizational skills and a commitment to, or potential for, teaching excellence.
- Full time professional experience in engineering and technology fields outside of academic settings is required.
- At least five years of full time professional experience working with San Joaquin Valley manufacturing industry and/or or other San Joaquin Valley agencies, demonstrated record of program development and project management.
A review applications continues on a rolling basis as teaching positions open. Deadline is July 20, 2021 to be fully considered for Fall 2021 hiring. Closing date is opened until filled.
Complete an online application at https://careers.fresnostate.edu, search for the appropriate Job Announcement, Create an Applicant Profile, or Login if you have already have an Applicant Profile, and attach the following materials:
- Cover letter addressing qualifications and experience, and list of courses you are interested in teaching,
- Curriculum vitae,
- Names and contact information of at least three professional references - the committee will request current letters of recommendation, do not attach,
- Statement on diversity: This statement provides the applicant’s unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. The purpose of the diversity statement is to help the department identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help Fresno State contribute to its mission in these areas,
- Copies of unofficial transcripts from all relevant educational programs.
For inquiries contact Dr. Ram Nunna, Dean, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position advertised will remain open until filled. Interviews may follow. Qualified applicants not hired at this time will remain in this pool for future consideration.
About the Campus
California State University, Fresno, is a forward-looking and diverse institution located in California’s Central Valley, known for its agriculture, reasonable housing costs, cultural diversity, and proximity to Yosemite National Park and the Sierra Nevada.
The Fresno State campus sits in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley, a valley rich in the traditions and representation of Native American peoples and cultures. We are grateful to be in the traditional homelands of the Yokuts and Mono peoples, whose diverse tribal communities share stewardship over this land.
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community are expected to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect, and ethical behavior, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity The campus is ranked 24th in the nation by Washington Monthly; ranked 3rd by U.S. News & World Report in graduation rate performance for public institutions; and, ranked 41st in the nation in MONEY Magazines 50 Best Public Colleges.
Fresno State’s Principles of Community
These Principles were developed collaboratively by faculty, staff, and administrators. They exemplify what we aspire to be. Find out more about our Principles of Community at: https://fresnostate.edu/president/strategic-plan/principles-of-community.html
We all play a role in fostering an inclusive work and learning environment of respect, kindness, collaboration, and accountability where every member of the student body, faculty, staff, and administration can thrive. Our Principles of Community reflect our core values of Discovery, Diversity, and Distinction as well as our deep commitment to our mission "to boldly educate and empower students for success."
California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Other Campus Information
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. An offer of employment may be withdrawn or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.