Instructional Student Assistant for the Learning Center
The Learning Center is seeking applicants to fill Tutor positions.
For information on applying as Learning Center Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader, please click here.
Fresno State’s Learning Center is a space that encourages students to grow intellectually as critical thinkers. We advance student success by actively using effective learning strategies to improve content understanding and course grades. Tutors do not teach, but instead, facilitate students' learning of difficult topics within historically challenging courses or subjects. The Learning Center aims to boldly integrate the culture and values of each student to inspire a community of life-long learners.
Please see below for key characteristics associated with the position of a Learning Center Tutor:
Supports students in any course for a specific subject (example: Chemistry)
Can work 6-20 hours a week, usually in 2-hour to 5-hour shifts, 3-5 days a week
Encourages student to drive session agenda, which last as long as student stays on task (or 60 minutes for writing appointments)
Usually works all hours in the Learning Center
Anticipated Appointment Dates:
Spring 2022: January 18, 2022 -May 21, 2022
Hours per week: Students can work up to 20-hours per week;
Job Duties: May include the following, but will be dependent upon the specific course to which the Tutor will be assigned, as well as upon the specific needs of the course faculty member(s) and Learning Center staff:
- Prepare events, material, and references for students
- Perform individual and/or group academic support
- Plan and facilitate outreach and marketing efforts to recruit students
- Create project-based learning experiences for students
- Attend all scheduled training and meeting dates
Qualifications for Tutor position:
- Must be enrolled in 6 units at Fresno State
- Must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- Must have passed specific course(s) you are applying for with a grade B or better.
- Demonstrated commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Application Procedures: The review of applications for positions will begin immediately. The following documents are required to upload:
- Class schedule: Upload a copy of your class schedule for the semester you are seeking employment. Please note, if you have not yet registered for your next semester courses, you may skip this upload and submit the application.
- Current unofficial transcripts from your undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate education.
- How to submit your unofficial transcripts: Sign into https://my.fresnostate.edu. Access your Unofficial Transcript. Highlight all text throughout the document, copy it and paste it into a word processor document, and save the document with your name somewhere in the file name.
Questions? Contact Anthony Losongco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Instruction Student Assistant additional information regarding assignment:
The California State University Instructional Student Assistant Classification and Standards
- Evaluations: ISA's may be evaluated per CBA, Unit 11, Article 8
- Salary: Each department has different salary scales. Please check with your department for your Hourly Rate.
- Salary Schedule: The salary schedule can be found on the Faculty Affairs website here.
- Assignments: Assignments are made by Department Chair or Program Coordinator after consultation with the applicant.
- Duties Form: Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement for Unit 11, a Duties Form (see Appendix E of the CBA) will be completed between the Department and Academic Student Employee. This form substantiates the jobs included for the department teaching associate position.
- Instructional Student Assistant is a student position for those matriculated at Fresno State.
- Students are limited to 20-hours of part-time work on campus.
Fresno State’s Principles of Community
These Principles were developed collaboratively by faculty, staff, and administrators. They exemplify what we aspire to be. Find out more about our Principles of Community at: https://fresnostate.edu/president/strategic-plan/principles-of-community.html
We all play a role in fostering an inclusive work and learning environment of respect, kindness, collaboration, and accountability where every member of the student body, faculty, staff, and administration can thrive. Our Principles of Community reflect our core values of Discovery, Diversity, and Distinction as well as our deep commitment to our mission "to boldly educate and empower students for success."
Other Campus Information
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. An offer of employment may be withdrawn or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.