Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $3,700 - $4,000 per month
Full classification Salary Range: $3,312 - $5,404 per month
- This is a full-time (equivalent to 40 hours per week), probationary, non-exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Under general supervision, the Gardening Specialist performs a combination of specialized work in an assigned area of campus which encompasses sprinkler repair work, horticultural spray work, and plant propagation, gardening or nursery work, specialized turf, performance turf and play field areas. This specialized work requires the same level of skills, knowledge and abilities that are required of specialists in each of these areas. The specialized work must be performed at least 50% of the time under the general supervision of someone above the Lead Groundsworker, and independently of any specialists working in the assigned area. In addition, for at least 50% of their work time, Gardening Specialists perform specialized skilled gardening activities. This position may require after-hours and weekend work.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, grass varieties, tools and equipment used in planting, cultivating, and caring for performance turf fields and play fields including proper turf grass and infield management.
- Knowledge in large irrigation systems, drainage systems and performance turf and play field layouts and striping.
- General knowledge in ornamental flowers, shrubs, lawns, and trees.
- General knowledge of the composition and structure of soil, Ph factors of soils, compatibility and incompatibility factors between soil and plants, difference between plant mixes, and erosion control.
- Ability to identify, diagnose, and treat plant and lawn disease, and correct nutrient deficiencies
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Two years of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or general grounds performing horticultural spray and pest eradication work; maintenance, repair, and modification of irrigation systems; planning, development and maintenance of special planting areas or ornamental gardens.
- Experience to include one year of specialized landscape maintenance, repair and modification of irrigation systems and pest and/or spray control work or cultivation of nursery plants.
- Possession of the appropriate California Department of Pesticide Regulation license to perform pest control work (Qualified Applicator License or Qualified Applicator Certificate).
- Advanced level of skills, knowledge and abilities that are required of specialists in sprinkler repair work, horticultural spray work, and plant propagation, gardening, or nursery work.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by February 7, 2022 will be given full consideration by the search committee. Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.