Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary: $3,312
Full classification Salary Range: $3,312 - $5,404
This is a full-time (equivalent to 40 hours per week), probationary, non-exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Under general supervision, performs skilled horticultural work in specialized planting areas and ornamental gardens on campus for a major portion of time. Related assignments may include mowing, irrigation repairs, tool and equipment maintenance. Typically performs specialized gardening functions on the campus grounds, landscape features and parking lots to assure proper maintenance to align with department and university mission. May perform general grounds maintains in support of the department and other duties as assigned.
This position may require after-hours and weekend work.
Major duties of the job include:
• Skilled Gardening 60%
• General Gardening 20 %
• Grounds Maintenance 10%
• Department Support 10%
1. Skilled Gardening: 60%
• Perform a full range of duties to maintain, plant, cultivate, prune, fertilize and water ornamental gardens, including shrubs, hedges, trees, lawns, and flowers in assigned areas of the campus.
• Prepare and treat soils for planting and make recommendations for plant selection.
• Planning, development and maintenance of special planting areas and ornamental gardens.
• Perform a full range of horticultural work on athletic practice and game fields.
• Perform pest and weed control
• Maintain tools and equipment in proper condition and repair.
• Perform minor repair of sprinklers and drip tube.
• Operate and perform maintenance on small power-operated power mowers and other gardening power equipment.
2. General Gardening 20%
• Assist with weed and pest control in landscape areas.
• Assist with Athletic and Play Field preparation.
• May drive automotive, cart, or landscape maintenance equipment in the performance of assigned duties.
3. Grounds Maintenance 10%
• Rake leaves, hoe weeds, cleaning landscape areas.
• Operate edger and blower.
• Clean trash from grounds including parking lots.
4. Department Support 10%
• Assist with event setups and clean-up.
• May provide direction to students and Groundsworkers when assigned.
• Always maintain professional like attitude while on duty.
• Maintain regular attendance.
• Assists with campus projects
• Adhere to Facilities Management Grounds Department Expectations.
• Thorough knowledge of the names, characteristics, and use of trees, shrubs and flowers; proper use and maintenance of gardening tools and equipment; flower and plant propagation techniques, pruning techniques, characteristics of fertilizers, soil conditioners, soils, and the effects of environment on plant life. Knowledge of drought-tolerant plant varieties.
• Knowledge of plant pests, diseases and nutritional deficiencies.
• Skills and abilities to care for and maintain plants in all stages of growth; develop and execute an ornamental planting program; mix soils and fertilizers for plantings; read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position; and follow oral and written instructions.
• Skilled in ornamental plant care in unique feature gardens.
• Ability in prune and care for all ornamental plants, shrubs, and trees especially in a campus/arboretum setting.
• Possession of or the ability to obtain a valid California Driver’s License, with a good driving record.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
Two years of experience in the cultivation and care of ornamental plants including planting, watering, fertilizing, transplanting, and pruning.
• Two years of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas in an institution setting.
• Four years of experience in the cultivation and care of ornamental plants and large landscapes.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by January 25, 2022 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)