Accounting Technician III
(Accounting Technician III)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $3,532 - $3,709 per month
Full classification Salary Range: $3,532 - $6,198 per month
- This is a full-time (equivalent to 40 hours per week), probationary, non-exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
The individual selected will be responsible for providing technical support by administering the loans and collection programs (including but not limited to Perkins, Nursing, and Dream Loans), developing and monitoring special payment plan arrangements, performing all student account collection activity and follow-up, assembling, analyzing and adjusting student, sponsor and/or collection accounts; responding to BankMobile and 1098-T inquiries; providing backfill in preparing tuition calculation set-ups, daily cash reconciliations; serving on appeal committees, and performing research and other related duties as assigned.
Major duties of the job include: coordinating placement of delinquent loans with collection agencies and determining when accounts are sent to and from collection agencies or assigned to the Department of Education, researching and keeping current on loan regulations and policies to ensure loan programs are in compliance, gathering data and preparing complex reports required by collection agencies, and processing and sending dunning letters.
The Accounting Technician III performs a wide variety of duties requiring considerable judgment, initiative, and independence. Incumbents in this classification devise new methods, modify and document established procedures based on precedent and university policies and develop new procedures as necessary; deal with subject matter requiring technical expertise; may provide technical and/or work direction to other employees; and resolve difficult and unusual problems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of financial record-keeping, mathematical and general office methods, procedures, and practices.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Comprehensive knowledge and proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PC internet and email.
- Knowledge and adherence to all relevant regulations and policies and procedures (such as: FERPA and CSU Executive Orders).
- Skill/Ability to:
- Effectively organize and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Review financial documents for accuracy, completeness, validity, and adherence to standards.
- Compute and post numbers rapidly and accurately; maintain files and records; identify, trace, and correct errors.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, and prepare written documents and correspondence.
- Apply problem solving techniques; interpret and apply written rules, regulations, accounting procedures and practices to the analysis of basic accounting problems.
- Make sound decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities and provide accurate information for review regarding program service delivery and activities in meeting programmatic goals and enhancing processes.
- Assist and work closely with Technology Services, end-users and internal customers to ensure the integrity of the application and data stored in the system and with ongoing upgrades and enhancements to program.
- Provide customer service, support and serve as a resource to students, staff and external agencies in responding to inquiries and providing information.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships and promote a positive, service oriented collegial work environment
- Demonstrated history of regular attendance and positive performance reviews
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to four years of progressively responsible financial record-keeping experience, or any combination of education and experience, which has provided the above knowledge and abilities.
- Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience using PeopleSoft Finance or other computerized accounting systems.
- Collections experience.
- Two or more years of college with an accounting emphasis.
- California State University or other higher education experience or other government experience.
- Proficient at using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word.
- Working knowledge of databases and reporting.
- Demonstrated history of providing excellent Customer Service
The University Controller/Accounting Services Office is dedicated to facilitating the primary mission of the University by seeking the most cost-effective methods of delivering services while continuing to implement improvement of services to students, faculty, staff and all other customers.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by June 6, 2022 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)