Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range is $75,000 - $95,000 per year and is competitive and negotiable depending on the strength of qualifications. This is a CSU Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Under the general direction of the Associate Vice President for Human Resources (AVP), the Payroll Manager is responsible for all payroll functions of the University. This position plans, organizes, and directs the payroll function including the development of operational goals and the implementation of policies and procedures. The Payroll Manager analyzes, formulates, and implements policies and procedures based on applicable state, federal and CSU system payroll laws, rules, and regulations.
This position leads a team of 4 payroll professionals in developing, recommending, and implementing improved processes and procedures for customer-oriented and efficient operation of the payroll function. The Payroll Department supports a faculty, staff, and student community of approximately 2,500 monthly employees and approximately 700-1000 student employees. The Payroll Manager is the campus liaison with the State Controller’s Office on all payroll related issues. This position must integrate and coordinate campus payroll operations with the human resources, budget, accounts payable and accounting functions of the University and campus directors and managers. This position oversees the development and preparation of reports needed by internal and external University departments as well as reports to assist payroll staff in the performance of their job functions.
- Combination of education and experience required to perform the duties of the position.
- Experience in working with a complex payroll accounting system.
- Displays strong analytical skills and experience interpreting and applying complex and conflicting rules and regulations.
- Able to communicate complex information clearly.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience in budgetary procedures, accounting principles, and appropriate software programs.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in the coordination of staff and resources such as strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources, and leadership techniques.
- Knowledge of computer office systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, systems, and software packages (Microsoft Office Suite, Google apps).
- Exceptional critical thinking skills demonstrated by the ability to analyze information, evaluate results, and facilitate resolution of difficult challenges, including the ability to handle issues of complex and extreme sensitivity.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and responsive skills to establish and maintain professional and cooperative working relationships with administrators, faculty, staff, students, as well as other stakeholders and partners outside of Fresno State.
- Ability to exercise initiative, flexibility, good judgment and discretion and work well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Interpret an extensive variety of information and data presented in various forms (documents, presentations, graphs, charts, etc.).
- Ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in written or presentation format to build consensus to achieve short- and long-term goals and strategic directions.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
- Organizational and time-management skills with the ability to work under pressure and manage multiple projects in a complex, cross-functional environment under competing deadlines and maintain flexibility in response to constantly shifting priorities.
- Advanced skills in using productivity software to manipulate, summarize, and present data.
- Ability to plan, direct, and control the activities of the departments in regard to human and fiscal resources.
- Ability to plan and implement individualized training and technical assistance.
- Manage and supervise the work of staff and recommend appropriate personnel actions.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration from a four-year college or university.
- Five years of payroll or payroll/human resource related experience in a large complex organization.
- Experience in managing a complex payroll accounting system.
- Preferred Skills:
- Working knowledge of databases such as PeopleSoft, CalPERS, and/or State of California PIMS system.
- High competency with the use of software programs such as Excel, Word, and Access.
- Experience in Higher Education.
- Two years of experience in a lead/supervisory/management position.
Payroll Services is dedicated to paying State university employees accurately and timely, providing excellent customer service to the community, and reporting reliable pay information to our agency partners while supporting the University’s efforts to achieve its mission.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by July 10, 2022 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)