Evening Access Services Specialist
(Library Services Specialist II)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary: $3,319 per month
Full classification Salary Range: $3,319 - $5,983 per month
- This is a full-time (equivalent to 40 hours per week), probationary, non-exempt position.
- The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
This position is one of several in the Access Services unit of the Henry Madden Library. The person in this position is responsible for providing excellent customer service at the circulation service point, which includes answering questions in person, on the phone and via email. Assists at the Tech Lending Service point as necessary and answers questions pertaining to the library’s equipment on a regular basis. The person in this position is responsible for the entire library when working alone during evenings and weekends, which includes assuming sole responsibility for all aspects of patron, student assistant and building-related functions. Opens the library during intersession periods and closes the library 5 times per week during regular semester periods.
- Knowledge of:
- Library terminology.
- Library organizational structure, policies and procedures including those pertaining to the Access Services and ability to apply them accurately in performing work functions.
- Library automated systems and equipment.
- Library collection organization and classification scheme, and ability to interpret bibliographic records.
- University and library policies and practices associated with the ethical use of and access to library and online resources.
- Skill/Ability to:
- Use good judgment in interpreting policies and resolving patron problems and complaints.
- Communicate effectively with patrons in order to guide them in the use of library resources and interpret library policies.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, and prepare detailed information and correspondence.
- Perform detailed work with great accuracy and proficiency.
- Use automated library system(s), computer equipment and standard desktop software packages, such as word processing and spreadsheets, to perform technical work or assist patrons.
- Work under minimal supervision to perform assigned work.
- Interpret library policies and procedures and apply them accurately in performing work functions, as well as the ability to evaluate procedures and recommend changes.
- Demonstrate problem solving and research skills to address standard and non-standard work problems.
- Serve as a resource to students, staff and the community in responding to inquiries, providing detailed information and guiding patrons in use of library resources.
- Effectively provide lead work direction to student workers.
- Perform standard business math, such as calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, and make simple projections.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships and promote a positive, service oriented collegial work environment
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as scheduled.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to the completion of a high school or equivalent certification.
- Three years of related library and/or clerical experience.
- Preferred Education and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Understanding of how to read Library of Congress classification numbers.
- Working knowledge of the library automated systems product by ExLibris, Alma.
The Henry Madden Library supports the University mission of education, research and service. To this end, the Library selects, develops, manages and provides access to information resources; promotes the critical use of information for learning and research; and presents cultural and scholarly programming that serves the campus, region and beyond.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by July 4, 2022 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)