(Student Services Professional I-B)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $3,796 - $3,986 per month
Full classification Salary Range: $3,796 - $5,369 per month
- This full-time (equivalent to 40 hours per week) position is temporary and expected to end on or before July 31, 2023. Extension of this assignment is contingent upon sufficient additional funding and satisfactory performance.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Under the general supervision of Associate Dean within the College of Social Sciences, the incumbent provides counseling and advising services to help students achieve their educational and personal goals at California State University, Fresno. This position is responsible for providing academic advisement and counseling services to support student transition to the university and retention through graduation.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of advising and counseling students in higher education.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of individual and group behavior; research and observation techniques for the purpose of recording, classifying, and interpreting factual information.
- Techniques and methods of interviewing.
- Familiarity with the Fresno State Academic programs, CSU General Education requirements, general degree requirements, and academic policies and regulations.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft Student Information System and Bulldog Connect.
- Proficient in the use of office automation, such as Microsoft Office tools, and Social Media.
- Ability to:
- Work effectively with faculty and administrators from diverse global, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds
- Maintain high degree of interpersonal skills and sensitivity to the needs of a diverse college student population
- Work independently, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements
- Ability to gather and analyze data; reason logically, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations
- Participate in and contribute to group meetings, conferences and interviews
- Present clear and concise information both orally and in written form; and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff, faculty and people from a global community
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration, or a job-related field.
- Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Possession of these knowledge and abilities is typically demonstrated through the equivalent of one year of experience in professional Student Services work at the entry trainee level. Equivalent amounts of graduate level job-related education may be substituted for the required experience.
- Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in College Counseling
- Experience with College of Social Sciences major advising
- Experience working with At-Risk students at the college level
- Familiarity with student services and academic programs in a university setting
- Experience planning and developing student success workshops at a college level
The College of Social Sciences at Fresno State offers a broad and exciting range of majors, minors, and certificates that help us understand our world: from the study of history, political, social, and cultural issues, to projections for our future, our degree programs are designed to develop essential skills necessary to adapt to a constantly changing world and to provide leadership for the new millennium.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by July 7, 2022 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)