(Payroll Technician II)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $3,276 - $4,100 per month
Full classification Salary Range: $3,276 - $5,612 per month
- This is a full-time (equivalent to 40 hours per week), probationary, non-exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Reporting to the Payroll Manager, the Payroll Technician II independently performs the typical activities related to the processing of payroll and personnel transactions such as appointments, changes in status, leaves and separations for all categories of California State University (CSU) employees. Assignments require the incumbent to address individual situations by applying payroll/personnel regulations, CSU policies and administrative guidelines, state and federal laws, educational codes and collective bargaining agreements. The incumbent will act with diligence so that all information contained in personnel/payroll transaction forms is accurate and conforms to all relevant regulations; conduct the independent tracing, research and reconciliation of errors, and provide information and assistance on payroll processing matters to faculty and staff members.
- Required Knowledge:
- Thorough knowledge of: Business English and arithmetic and general office methods, procedures and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of, or the ability to acquire quickly: Uniform State Payroll Procedures Manual, Personnel Information Management System Manual and other information found in state and university administrative manuals and guidelines, Public Employees Retirement System Manual, Executive Orders and directives published by the Chancellor's Office, applicable state and federal laws, educational codes and collective bargaining agreements.
- Required abilities:
- Independently identify appropriate payroll applications of a wide variety of complex written policies and procedures, applicable state and federal laws, educational codes, and collective bargaining agreements.
- Tactfully and clearly explain a wide variety of complex procedures and policies to individuals who have minimal knowledge of pay and personnel related processes and procedures.
- Review detailed numerical records or transactions and identify deviations from applicable policies or procedures.
- Audit and correct processing errors.
- Independently draft and satisfactorily prepare, in final form, cover memoranda and responses to inquiries concerning applications of payroll/personnel policies and procedures.
- Deal and keep abreast with changes in a wide variety of complex resource materials in order to be in compliance with university, state, federal and educational codes, rules and regulations.
- Independently prepare and reconcile pay and personnel related transaction reports on staffing, classifications, employee deductions and salary patterns.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Equivalent to two years of experience in preparing and processing payroll personnel documents (can include 1 year of experience in payroll/accounting/finance and a Bachelor's Degree in a Business-related field).
- Preferred Skills:
- Experience with PeopleSoft.
- Experience with the State of California and/or the CSU Payroll System (PIMS).
- Experience in the processing of payroll in higher education.
Payroll Services is responsible for providing accurate and timely payments to State employees of California State University, Fresno. We work under the authority of the Chancellor and under the direction of the Controller of the State of California.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by August 2, 2022 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)