California State University, Fresno
College of Health and Human Services
School of Nursing
Family Nurse Practitioner
Assistant / Associate Professor
Fall 2023 (August 2023)
The School of Nursing in the College of Health and Human Services at California State University, Fresno is accepting applications for one tenure-track position in the School of Nursing at the Assistant Professor or Associate Professor rank with a fall 2023 start date. The successful candidate will be involved in teaching undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral level courses, advising students, conducting research in areas of specialization, and participating in department, college, and university level committees. The individual may be called upon to teach in a variety of modalities including laboratory simulation and will be encouraged to develop web enhanced and /or web-based instruction. Specific assignments are dependent on departmental needs and the background of the individual.
Our Students: California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Required Education (from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent.):
- A Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN)
- An earned doctorate ( DNP, EdD, Ph,D or equivalent) in nursing or a related field.
- The ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, and to engage with diverse communities in the San Joaquin Valley region.
- Current RN licensure in California by the Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) or candidate must be eligible for licensure and possess licensure by time of hire with faculty approval in the assigned area of specialization.
- The candidate must have a demonstrated ability to form productive working relationships between the College and a wide variety of community agencies.
- National certification as a Family Practice Nurse Practitioner.
- Have at least two years of clinical experience as a family practice nurse practitioner, within the last five (5) years of practice and consistent with the teaching responsibilities.
For an appointment at the rank of Associate:
- Experience/Publications as expected of an Associate Professor.
- Candidates with a history of attracting external funding and evidence of collaboration with other research scientists are highly desirable.
- Experience teaching at the baccalaureate, masters and/or doctoral levels.
- Active participation or leadership roles within the profession of Nursing or relevant professional organizations are preferred.
- Experience with teaching in an online mode, laboratory simulation instruction, successful research, publications, and/or experience in outcomes assessment and/or service learning.
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner licensure.
- Public Health Certificate (Eligible)
Application Procedures: To ensure full consideration, applicants should submit all application materials by the review date. The committee may elect to review applications submitted after this date. All positions automatically close on March 31, 2023. Apply online at http://careers.fresnostate.edu
Application Review Date: Tuesday, January 31, 2023
Attach the following:
- Letter of interest or cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications, your interests in teaching diverse students, and a description of your research/creative activities.
- Current curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information of three professional references.
- Statement addressing your commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Candidates invited for an on-campus visit must submit by mail/e-mail within the designated deadline. The Search Chair will send information and requests for these items:
- Three current letters of recommendation (dated within 12 months of full consideration date.)
- Official transcripts
Search Chair: Dr. Janine Spencer
School of Nursing
College of Health and Human Services
About Fresno State:
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect, and ethical behavior, visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity
The campus is ranked 36th in the nation by Washington Monthly; ranked 3rd by U.S. News & World Report in graduation rate performance for public institutions; and, ranked 41st in the nation in MONEY Magazines 50 Best Public Colleges. The campus is classified as an R2 “Doctoral Universities – High research activities” university per Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education
Tenure-Track Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process. For additional information, please visit: www.fresnostate.edu/academics/facultyaffairs/procedures/facultyrtp/. We value our commitment to the success of our faculty by providing services from the Center for Faculty Excellence to Research and Sponsored Programs.
About the College and Department:
The School of Nursing’s mission, consistent with the mission of California State University, Fresno is an expression of commitment to excellence in professional education in meeting the health needs of the community and the central San Joaquin Valley. The School of Nursing offers a baccalaureate program which leads to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing, a post baccalaureate School Nurse Services Credential Program, a master's program for Family Practice Nurse Practitioners and a Doctorate in Nursing Practice.
The Fresno State campus sits in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley, a valley rich in the traditions and representation of Native American peoples and cultures. We are grateful to be in the traditional homelands of the Yokuts and Mono peoples, whose diverse tribal communities share stewardship over this land.
Other Campus Information:
Salary placement commensurate with experience within ranks established by the CSU Salary Schedule.
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. Any offer of employment may be withdrawn, or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements outlined in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.