(Student Services Professional II)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary: $4,476 per month
Full CSU Classification Salary Range: $4,476 - $6,365 per month
- This is a full-time, probationary, exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Reporting to the Director of Admissions and Recruitment and working under the lead of the Assistant Director of Admissions and Recruitment, the recruitment counselor’s primary responsibility is to provide leadership in the areas of counseling, admission advising, follow-up, coordination of various recruitment events, delivery of presentations, application workshops, as well as other recruitment activities to serve returning students (students who have left Fresno State and did not earn an undergraduate degree).
- Knowledge of the practices, procedures and activities associated with providing counseling and advising services to students.
- General knowledge of the methods and problems of organizational and program management.
- Knowledge of research and interviewing techniques and the principles of individual and group behaviors.
- Knowledge and sensitivity to issues encountered by at-risk students.
- Knowledge of study techniques and retention intervention strategies.
- Knowledge of computer office equipment and systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, and software packages (Microsoft Office Suite, Google applications and social media.).
- Skill/Ability to:
- Ability to work with students who may disclose sensitive and personal information in an understanding and supportive manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student records and apply federal and state FERPA and Information Privacy Act regulations.
- Analyze, interpret and apply policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements.
- Obtain factual and interpretative information through interviews.
- Reason logically and carry out a variety of professionally complex assignments successfully.
- Research, compile and analyze data and prepare reports, justifications, and recommendations.
- Ability to effectively organize tasks in a fast-paced and team-oriented work environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with ability to develop, facilitate and execute workshops, presentations and events.
- Ability to analyze complex situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action with regards to the preadmission advising of students individually and in groups.
- Ability to serve as a resource to students, staff and the campus community in responding to inquiries and providing detailed information concerning student academic success, retention and graduation.
- Recognize multicultural, multi-sexed and multi-aged value systems and work accordingly.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff, faculty and other members of the University community, and promote a positive, service oriented, collegial work environment.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with people from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Ability to carry out a variety of professionally complex assignments successfully.
- Rapidly acquire a general knowledge of the overall operation, functions and programs of California State University, Fresno.
- Work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends, and travel extensively.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the behavioral sciences or job-related field.
- Two years of professional experience related to student recruitment/outreach, community/industry outreach, agricultural education/communication, or in a related field providing counseling and advising service.
- A Master’s degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of professional experience.
- Possession of a valid, current Class “C” California driver’s license and a good driving record.
To support the university's enrollment goals by boldly recruiting and admitting diverse students through equitable partnerships, innovative programs, high-quality services, and providing opportunities for lifelong success.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by November 27, 2022 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)