California State University, Fresno
College of Arts & Humanities
Department of Art, Design and Art History
Fall 2023 (August 2023)
California State University, Fresno invites applications for a tenure-track position in the Interior Design Program at the rank of Assistant Professor. The successful candidate will teach and develop an extensive research/professional agenda in at least two of the following areas: (a) professional business practices; (b) building environmental systems and integration, standards and codes; (c) material specifications and coordination; (d) project coordination, construction documentation, and administration; (e) lighting, daylighting, and sustainability; (f) Revit/BIM, Rhino and/or 3D Max. The successful candidate will be asked to participate in teaching beginning and advanced design studios, space planning, digital programs, graphic and rendering techniques, among other courses, as the need arises. Additionally, the successful candidate will be expected to produce a body of work that contributes substantially to the advancement of the program's mission and vision. Other responsibilities include advising undergraduate students, participating in program development and accreditation, rendering service to the University (at various levels), the profession, and/or the community
Our Students: California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Required Education (from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent.):
- MA, MFA Interior Design.
- Two years minimum of demonstrated record of professional work as an Interior Designer and teaching experience in at least two of the following areas: (a) healthcare design; (b) historic preservation; (c) furniture & product design; (d) materials, textiles and specifications
- NCIDQ Certification or ability to achieve certification within two years of employment
- Demonstrated ability to motivate students to think creatively and critically
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working effectively with students, faculty, and staff from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. California State University, Fresno is committed to promoting the success of all, and to reducing the barriers to success related to differences in areas such as race, ethnicity, culture, disability, and more. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and identify their strengths and experiences in this area. For additional information on the University’s commitment to diversity visit: www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity
- Demonstrated commitment to working effectively and collaboratively with faculty, staff, students, board members, visiting artists, museums, galleries, and other art institutions, and donors
- NCIDQ Certification
- Two years professional work experience in Interior Design in more than two of the four areas identified above, and/or in other fields of expertise, especially lighting design, building codes, and environmental systems
- Two years of teaching experience at a CIDA accredited institution (Graduate Teaching Assistantship is acceptable)
- Experience with CIDA accreditation, site visits, and documentation.
- Evidence of productive research/scholarship in interior design, especially in the areas identified above
- Demonstrated experience and success in interior design as a transdisciplinary field that is firmly grounded in the liberal arts and humanities, globally focused, socially engaged and committed to environmental stewardship and cultural diversity
- Demonstrated record of acquiring grants and publicly/privately funded scholarship
- Working knowledge and experience using industry standard design software, including Autodesk/AutoCAD/Revit/3D Max, Rhino and Adobe Suite.
Application Procedures: To ensure full consideration, applicants should submit all application materials by the review date. The committee may elect to review applications submitted after this date. All positions automatically close on March 31, 2023. Apply online at http://careers.fresnostate.edu
Application Review Date: Tuesday, January 19, 2023
Attach the following:
- Cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Statements of teaching and research philosophy (2 pages max for each)
- Representative examples of peer reviewed publications (PDF format required)
- A portfolio of student and professional practice work (minimum 10 pages each PDF format required or link to website)
- Diversity statement addressing your commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Name and current contact information (mailing address, email address, and phone number) of at least three professional references.
- Unofficial transcripts
Candidates invited for an on-campus visit must submit by mail/e-mail within the designated deadline. The Search Chair will send information and requests for these items:
- Three current letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts
Search Chair: Dr. Laura Huisinga
Department of Art, Design and Art History
College of Arts & Humanities
About Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect, and ethical behavior, visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity
The campus is ranked 36th in the nation by Washington Monthly; ranked 3rd by U.S. News & World Report in graduation rate performance for public institutions; and, ranked 41st in the nation in MONEY Magazines 50 Best Public Colleges. The campus is classified as an R2 “Doctoral Universities – High research activities” university per Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education
Tenure-Track Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process. For additional information, please visit: www.fresnostate.edu/academics/facultyaffairs/procedures/facultyrtp/. We value our commitment to the success of our faculty by providing services from the Center for Faculty Excellence to Research and Sponsored Programs.
About the College and Department:
The Department of Art, Design & Art History provides the skills and understanding, humanistic values and cultural awareness that form the foundation of knowledge in the visual arts. The department offers programs in fine and applied areas of visual art that engage students in inquiry and discovery. These programs help prepare students to be artists, historians of art, designers, educators, and informed and thoughtful citizens in the community and in a global society.
In alignment with the university and College of Arts and Humanities mission and vision statements, the Department of Art, Design & Art History strives to prepare students for lifelong learning by implementing bold, focused strategies designed to maximize access and success for our diverse student body. In collaboration with our community partners, we provide a transformative educational experience that prepares students to serve and to lead in the Central Valley, the state, and beyond. Our programs are structured to provide students the knowledge and experience to succeed in careers in the field of Art and Design. We strive to enhance teaching and learning through best practices, innovative programming, and high impact experiences
The Fresno State campus sits in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley, a valley rich in the traditions and representation of Native American peoples and cultures. We are grateful to be in the traditional homelands of the Yokuts and Mono peoples, whose diverse tribal communities share stewardship over this land.
Other Campus Information:
Salary placement commensurate with experience within ranks established by the CSU Salary Schedule
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. Any offer of employment may be withdrawn, or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements outlined in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.