(Public Affairs/Communication Specialist II)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $3,761 - $4,500 per month
Full CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,761 - $6,803 per month
- This is a full-time, probationary, exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Under the supervision of the Dean of the Kremen School of Education and Human Development and the lead work direction of the Administrative Services Manager, this position is the school resource person, responsible for media relations and the creation and dissemination of communications projects for the school, its departments, programs and institutes in accordance with the School’s vision, mission, and goals. This position creates, manages, and implements media updates, works closely with University Communications, and maintains strong relationships with each of the departments, programs, institutes, centers, and development director. The incumbent is expected to work closely with University Communications to ensure a consistent campus strategy is developed and executed. Work is performed autonomously under general supervision and requires regular exercising of judgment and discretion to interpret policies, procedures, and objectives. Work is reviewed for soundness of judgment.
- Working knowledge of general practices, methods, and procedures related to public affairs, media relations, and marketing.
- Working knowledge of marketing and research techniques and methods.
- Thorough knowledge of marketing communication techniques, including use of web and social media to achieve communication goals.
- Knowledge of interview techniques.
- Familiarity with digital photography, videography.
- Strong story development and journalistic writing skills, as well as advanced editorial skills.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, punctuation and spelling, and ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including strong public speaking, listening and interpretive skills.
- Good project management and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to keep abreast of campus events and subject matter expertise in relation to current events.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
- Effectively use web technology to achieve communication goals.
- Facilitate media interviews as needed.
- Coordinate video production and web design.
- Independently manage multiple, concurrent assignments, working successfully to complete projects on time.
- Independently take initiative to develop projects, find resources and obtain information.
- Analyze and select pertinent facts and integrate them into communication vehicles.
- Appropriately handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Apply appropriate statistical techniques to identify communication needs and target audiences.
- Provide lead work direction.
- Travel to and attend various functions, meetings, and conferences as required (some nights and weekends).
- Create and update webpage content in content management system.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships serving as university liaison.
- Work effectively in a highly consultative and collaborative environment.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- A bachelor's degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field.
- Two years progressively responsible professional experience in marketing and communications.
- A history of regular attendance and positive performance evaluations.
- Specialized Skills:
- Possess a valid driver's license and ability to meet the requirements of Fresno State's "Safe Driving" policy.
- Experience with administrative marketing, desktop publishing packages, and graphic design.
- Experience with web content maintenance systems (e.g. OmniUpdate).
- Experience with social media management.
- Proficient in use of office software packages; Microsoft Office and Google collaboration suite; computer (PC or Mac).
- Working knowledge of basic office systems and ability to learn to use a broad range of technology systems and packages including Canva and Adobe Creative Cloud applications; Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Preferred Skills:
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, or related field.
- Experience working in college or university setting.
- Experience developing, creating and editing electronic/multimedia and web content.
- Experience in the use of social media in business/institutional setting.
- Experience or interest in photography and video editing.
The Kremen School of Education and Human Development's mission is the recruitment and development of ethically informed leaders for classroom teaching, education administration, counseling, and higher education. This NCATE accredited unit fosters the candidate dispositions of collaboration, valuing diversity, critical thinking, ethical judgments, reflection, and life-long learning. Our mission is realized through a framework of teaching, scholarship, and services that addresses regional, state, national, and international perspectives.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by January 20, 2023 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)