California State University, Fresno
College of Health and Human Services
Department of Communicative Sciences and Deaf Studies
Communicative Sciences and Deaf Studies-Speech Language Pathology
Fall 2023 (August 2023)
The Department of Communicative Sciences and Deaf Studies is searching for a faculty member to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in speech-language pathology, supervise clinical practicum, advise students, direct theses, serve on committees at all levels of the university, and engage in service-related activities. Specific assignments are dependent on departmental needs and the background of the individual.
Our Department: Communicative Sciences and Deaf Studies is housed in the College of Health and Human Services, which offers professional programs in seven disciplines, each focusing on experiential learning, interdisciplinary education, research, interaction with the regional community, and service.
Our Students: California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Required Education (from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent):
- An earned doctorate (Ph.D./Ed.D) in speech-language pathology or other closely-related discipline from an accredited institution (or equivalent) is required.
- ABD may be considered but requirements for Doctorate must be completed by August 1, 2021.
- Candidates must have a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) and eligibility for California licensure.
- Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Preferred Experience: Applicants must demonstrate evidence of:
- Clinical expertise in the areas of neurogenic language disorders and/or dysphagia is preferred.
- Candidates are expected to demonstrate a commitment to, or potential for, teaching excellence and scholarly activity at the graduate level.
- It is preferred that candidates demonstrate a history of, or potential for, developing grant proposals and attracting external funding.
- Active participation or leadership roles in national, state, or local professional organizations is highly valued.
- Evidence of publication in a scholarly journal is preferred.
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
Application Procedures: Review of applications will begin on April 12, 2023. Apply online at http://careers.fresnostate.edu
and complete the application with the following:
- Letter of interest or cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications
- Current curriculum vitae
- Diversity statement
- Names and contact information of 3 professional references (on application form, not attached)
All finalists will receive a request to send official transcripts. In addition, your three professional references will be asked to submit current letters of recommendation.
Committee Information and Search process:
Search Chair: Hatun Zengin-Bolatkale, Ph.D. CCC-SLP
Department of Communicative Science and Deaf Studies
Salary placement commensurate with experience within ranks established by the CSU Salary Schedule
About Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect, and ethical behavior, visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity
The campus is ranked 36th in the nation by Washington Monthly; ranked 3rd by U.S. News & World Report in graduation rate performance for public institutions; and, ranked 41st in the nation in MONEY Magazines 50 Best Public Colleges. The campus is classified as an R2 “Doctoral Universities – High research activities” university per Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education
Tenure-Track Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process. For additional information, please visit: www.fresnostate.edu/academics/facultyaffairs/procedures/facultyrtp/. We value our commitment to the success of our faculty by providing services from the Center for Faculty Excellence to Research and Sponsored Programs.
The Fresno State campus sits in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley, a valley rich in the traditions and representation of Native American peoples and cultures. We are grateful to be in the traditional homelands of the Yokuts and Mono peoples, whose diverse tribal communities share stewardship over this land.
Other Campus Information:
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. Any offer of employment may be withdrawn, or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements outlined in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.