California State University, Fresno
College of Health and Human Services
Department of Physical Therapy / DPT
Physical Therapy Assistant or Associate Professor
Fall 2024 (August 2024)
The Department of Physical Therapy at California State University, Fresno is accepting applications for one tenure track position at the Assistant Professor or the Associate Professor rank. The successful candidate will teach and conduct clinical research in one or more of the following areas of expertise: gait, orthopedics, neuro, biomechanics, prosthetics and orthotics and overseeing students in our Gait, Balance, and Mobility Clinic and/or our Musculoskeletal Care Clinic. Additional responsibilities include scholarly activities, advising students, student doctoral project supervision, curriculum development, collaborative research, service at all levels of the university, and community outreach.
Overview: The Department of Physical Therapy at Fresno State has a well-established and respected Doctoral program. Our faculty members have diverse clinical and research expertise across the lifespan, including pediatric, adolescent, and aging populations of the culturally diverse Central Valley. Faculty research initiatives are broad and collaborative with faculty from across the University, including kinesiology, nursing, public health, engineering and communicative disorders (details available at http://www.fresnostate.edu/chhs/.) In addition to grant support, faculty have received both assigned time and funding through Chancellor, Provost, and College Awards. Faculty research and faculty-led student projects have won numerous awards over the last several years.
Department classrooms and laboratories include state-of-the-art equipment to support both teaching and research, including two research laboratories, the Gait Analysis Movement Evaluation laboratory and the Pediatrics Research laboratory. The Gait lab is currently equipped to do both Biomechanical research with technology that includes an Optotrak Camera System, Kistler Force Plates, Noraxon EMG System, CMI Humac Isokinetic Dynamometer; as well as cardiopulmonary or physiological research with technology that includes the TrueOne Metabolic Measurement System, Montara EKG Instrument and Treadmill, and Spirometer and GE Logiq e Ultrasound.
Our faculty also has access to the College Human Performance Laboratory housed in the Department of Kinesiology and to the College’s Department of Nursing's Knorr Patient Simulation Lab. We have two on-site clinics (Gait, Balance & Mobility Center and Musculoskeletal Care Clinic within the University Student Health Center) that provide a unique opportunity for our doctoral PT students to integrate classroom teaching into patient care very early on in the curriculum. The program also has a human cadaver laboratory where students get hands-on experience dissecting cadaveric specimens. In Fall 2015 the Department made its home in a state-of-the-art new building, which expanded facilities to include two additional large teaching laboratories, as well as new faculty /staff offices, and student/faculty conference spaces. Specific assignments are dependent on departmental needs and the background of the individual.
Our Students: California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
For appointment, candidates must possess one of the following:
1) An earned doctorate (PhD, DSc, EdD) in Physical Therapy or a closely related discipline from an accredited institution (or equivalent) or
2) a DPT with clinical specialty. Appointment at the rank of Associate Professor requires evidence of strong and continued experience and accomplishment in teaching and scholarly productivity.
Applicants nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered; however, for appointment, the doctorate must be completed by August 1, 2024
- A minimum of three years of clinical experience in physical therapy practice with a terminal academic degree (PhD, EdD, DPTSc); or five years of full time clinical experience in physical therapy practice with a DPT and clinical specialty.
- Evidence of success in teaching expertise and research in one or more of the following areas: gait, orthopedics, neuro, biomechanics, movement science/functional kinesiology, prosthetics and orthotics, and/or clinical experience to assume a role as a clinical instructor for doctoral students in one or both of the on campus clinics performing foundational evaluation and treatment;
- Demonstrated ability to utilize technology to enhance instruction and student learning;
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, and;
- Must be licensed in California or be eligible for timely licensure in California to begin a campus clinic supervision role at the start of the Fall semester academic year 2024-2025
- Evidence of experience attracting external funding;
- Evidence of collaboration with other research scientists;
- Active participation or leadership roles within the profession of Physical Therapy or relevant professional organizations;
- Experience teaching using current methodologies, including online and hybrid environments, tablet enhanced instruction, and flipped classroom methodologies,
- Experience or leadership in outcomes assessment and service learning; and
- Leadership roles in a clinic or research setting.
Application Procedures: Application for this position will remain open until filled. We encourage interested potential applicants to meet with our faculty at California State Conference, Education and Learning Conference and National Combined Sections Conference. Applicant reviews will begin on March 1st, 2024, after APTA Combined Sections Meeting National Conference. Note: All positions at Fresno State are subject to funding availability.
Apply online at: http://careers.csufresno.edu
Attach the following:
- A cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications;
- A curriculum vitae;
- A list of three professional references;
- Statement addressing your commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Candidates invited for an on-campus visit must submit by mail/e-mail within the designated deadline. The Search Chair will send information and requests for these items:
- Official transcripts from your doctoral program and
- Three current letters of recommendation (dated within the last 12 months).
Committee Information and Search process:
Search Chair: Jennifer Adame-Walker PT, DPT, OCS
Department of Physical Therapy / DPT
College of Health and Human Services
Email: email@example.com ;
Phone: 559-278-1508 or 559-278-2625
About Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
The campus is ranked 26th in the nation by Washington Monthly; ranked 3rd by U.S. News & World Report in graduation rate performance for public institutions; and, ranked 41st in the nation in MONEY Magazines 50 Best Public Colleges. The campus is classified as an R2 “Doctoral Universities – High research activities” university per the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
Tenure-Track Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process. For additional information, please visit: www.fresnostate.edu/academics/facultyaffairs/procedures/facultyrtp/. We value our commitment to the success of our faculty by providing services from the Center for Faculty Excellence to Research and Sponsored Programs.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience the anticipated hiring range is $6,500-$6,800 per month for Assistant Professor (12 monthly payments per academic year). As a member of the 23-campus CSU System, we offer an extremely competitive benefits package.
The Fresno State campus sits in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley, a valley rich in the traditions and representation of Native American peoples and cultures. We are grateful to be in the traditional homelands of the Yokuts and Mono peoples, whose diverse tribal communities share stewardship over this land.
Other Campus Information:
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. Any offer of employment may be withdrawn, or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements outlined in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
COVID19 Vaccination Policy
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, it is strongly recommended that all employees who are accessing office and campus facilities follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications.
Out of State Employment
Per CSU-wide policy (HR2021-04), all faculty who will begin initial employment (or return from a 12-month break in service) on or after January 1, 2022 are required to perform their work from within the State of California. Faculty hired prior to January 1, 2022 must be available to perform work in the State of California if their assignment is in-person.