Revised Review Date
California State University, Fresno
College of Arts & Humanities
Department of Art, Design and Art History
Art in 2D Animation
Fall 2024 (August 2024)
The College of Arts and Humanities and the Department of Art, Design & Art History at California State University, Fresno invite applications for an Assistant Professor of Art in 2D Animation. The successful candidate will teach undergraduate courses in the Animation curriculum, advise students, and supervise student research/creative activities. Faculty typically teach 12 WTUs per semester. Faculty may apply for assigned time course reductions to support scholarly/creative work, and the current faculty contract provides for a course release each semester for the faculty member’s first two years. The successful candidate will conduct independent research/creative activities; serve on department, college, and university committees; engage in community service; and attend Department of Art, Design & Art History events. Specific assignments are dependent on departmental needs and the background of the individual. Specific assignments are dependent on departmental needs and the background of the individual.
Our Students: California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Required Education (from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent.):
- An M.F.A. in Art or equivalent terminal degree in Art, Animation, or related field with an emphasis/specialization in Animation.
- Applicants nearing completion of the M.F.A.in Art degree may be considered; however, for an appointment, the M.F.A must be completed by August 1, 2024.
- The ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, and to engage with diverse communities in the San Joaquin Valley region.
- Ability to teach all levels of 2D Animation.
- Ability to demonstrate excellence in teaching and a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching and student success.
- A significant record of scholarship/creative/professional activities is evident in their work.
- Evidence of an active exhibition record.
- Demonstrable knowledge of both traditional and contemporary 2D animation processes, techniques, and approaches.
- Proficiency in Adobe Animate, Adobe After Effects, Toon Boom Storyboard Pro, and other industry related software.
- Minimum of two years of university or college-level teaching experience beyond graduate teaching assistantship (as faculty of record).
- Demonstrated knowledge of both fine art and industry 2D animation processes.
- Experience in a variety of 2D animation processes.
- Experience in additional time-based media, such as video art, multimedia installation, interactivity, or similar.
Application Procedures: To ensure full consideration, applicants should submit all application materials by the review date. The committee may elect to review applications submitted after this date. This position automatically closes on March 31, 2024. Note: All positions at Fresno State are subject to funding availability.
Application Review Date: December 10, 2023
Apply online at: http://careers.csufresno.edu
Attach the following:
- Letter of interest or cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications, your interests in teaching diverse students, and a description of your research/creative activities.
- Current curriculum vitae that includes at least three professional/academic references with their contact information.
- Statement addressing your commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A representative example of your scholarship/creative/professional work through an online link. If the work is from a collaboration or studio production, state your specific role in its creation.
- Samples of student work through an online link.
- A statement of teaching philosophy
We will request finalists to send official transcripts from all relevant educational programs. In addition, we will request the three professional references to submit current letters of recommendation.
Candidates invited for an on-campus visit must submit by mail/e-mail within the designated deadline. The Search Chair will send information and requests for these items:
- Three current letters of recommendation (dated within 12 months of full consideration date.)
- Official transcripts
Committee Information and Search process:
Search Chair: Paula Durette
Professor of Art in Animation/Intermedia
Department of Art, Design and Art History College of Arts & Humanities
Email: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is an engaged university. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Fresno State is committed and dedicated to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect, and ethical behavior.
Fresno State is designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI). The university has had a strong history of service and preparation of educators since the institution’s founding as a Normal School in 1911. Fresno State is ranked sixth in the nation for social mobility in the Wall Street Journal/College Pulse 2024 Best Colleges. Fresno State is ranked 26th in the nation by Washington Monthly for social mobility, research, and promoting public service. The campus is classified as an R2 university (Doctoral Universities – High Research Activity) per the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education
Tenure-track faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the university’s Probationary Plan Process. For additional information, please visit www.fresnostate.edu/academics/facultyaffairs/procedures/facultyrtp. The campus also supports faculty success through services provided by the Office of IDEAS (https://academics.fresnostate.edu/ideas).
Commensurate with qualifications and experience the anticipated hiring salary is $6,000 per month for Assistant Professor (12 monthly payments per academic year). As a member of the 23-campus CSU System, we offer an extremely competitive benefits package.
About the College and Department:
The Department of Art, Design & Art History provides the skills and understanding, humanistic values and cultural awareness that form the foundation of knowledge in the visual arts. The department offers programs in ne and applied areas of visual art that engage students in inquiry and discovery. These programs help prepare students to be artists, historians of art, designers, educators, and informed and thoughtful citizens in the community and in a global society.
In alignment with the university and College of Arts and Humanities mission and vision statements, the Department of Art, Design & Art History strives to prepare students for lifelong learning by implementing bold, focused strategies designed to maximize access and success for our diverse student body. In collaboration with our community partners, we provide a transformative educational experience that prepares students to serve and to lead in the Central Valley, the state, and beyond. Our programs are structured to provide students the knowledge and experience to succeed in careers in the field of Art and Design. We strive to enhance teaching and learning through best practices, innovative programming, and high impact experiences.
Further information can be found at our website: https://cah.fresnostate.edu/artanddesign/index.html
The Fresno State campus sits in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley, a valley rich in the traditions and representation of Native American peoples and cultures. We are grateful to be in the traditional homelands of the Yokuts and Mono peoples, whose diverse tribal communities share stewardship over this land.
Other Campus Information:
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. Any offer of employment may be withdrawn, or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements outlined in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
COVID19 Vaccination Policy
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, it is strongly recommended that all employees who are accessing office and campus facilities follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications.
Out of State Employment
Per CSU-wide policy (HR2021-04), all faculty who will begin initial employment (or return from a 12-month break in service) on or after January 1, 2022 are required to perform their work from within the State of California. Faculty hired prior to January 1, 2022 must be available to perform work in the State of California if their assignment is in-person.