Department Administrative Assistant
(Administrative Support Coordinator I)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $3,505 - $3,680 per month
Full CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,505 - $5,508 per month
- This is a full-time (equivalent to 40 hours per week), probationary, non-exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 15 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Under the general supervision and direction of the Physics Department Chair, the Administrative Support Coordinator provides major administrative support to the department. This position has direct contact with faculty, students, potential students, office support, student assistants, other campus staff, and the members of the community. The position ensures that the department meets all university and college requirements and deadlines.
- Knowledge of business mathematics, including at least one year of experience tracking and reconciling financial data.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current office methods, procedure, and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to use current, stand office equipment and software applications including advanced skills in word processing and maintenance of electronic spreadsheets (i.e., using Microsoft Word and Excel), as well as scheduling, internet, and email software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to find solutions to offer procedural and office administrative problems.
- Work independently on complex projects using good judgment and discretion to benefit the department.
- Learn, interpret, and apply a variety of complex policies and procedures.
- Make independent decisions on the daily operations of the office.
- Delegate workflow as appropriate and set priorities for the completion of assigned tasks.
- Promote a well-organized, collaborative, and team-oriented office environment that supports the faculty of the department.
- Work in consultation with the chair and faculty of the department, Dean’s assistants, and other department administrative assistants in the resolution of common problems.
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, multiple task and multiple interruption environment and successfully complete many different asks in a timely manner while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Assist the chair and various committees while planning and coordination of special events.
- Work effectively with faculty, students, and staff from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socio- economic backgrounds.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Equivalent to three years of progressively responsible clerical experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience, which has provided the above knowledge and abilities.
- Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Five years of experience providing administrative support to an academic department head.
- Experience in working in an institution of higher education with in-depth knowledge of university policies and procedures.
- Experience with and working knowledge of People Soft operations and Google Suite.
- Five or more years of progressively responsible administrative support experience that includes research, analysis, and evaluation of information.
We are dedicated to the holistic preparation of the next generation of scientists and mathematicians for vital and diverse careers in STEM using innovative High Impact Practices.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by November 20, 2023 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
COVID19 Vaccination Policy
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, it is strongly recommended that all employees who are accessing office and campus facilities follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications. Questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)