(Information Technology Consultant - Career)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $4,800 - $5,416 per month
Full CSU Classification Salary Range: $4,678 - $11,547 per month
- This is a full-time, probationary, exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 15 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Technology Services (TS) partners with faculty, staff, and students to provide essential information technology services that support mission-critical activities and innovative technology solutions that facilitate the accomplishment of strategic campus goals at Fresno State. Reporting to the CIO, this position will work under minimal direction to independently coordinate, plan, support, and execute enterprise-wide and division information technology projects. The incumbent will manage the Project Management Life Cycle from beginning to end, establish multi-disciplinary stakeholder and project team buy-in, and apply their knowledge and understanding of industry-accepted methodologies (i.e., Project Management Institute [PMI]) and lessons learned from past experiences to facilitate project success and provide imaginative, thorough, and practicable solutions to a wide range of problems. Using technical expertise and training, the incumbent works with Information Security, Networking, Operations, and other TS departments to plan for proper system and security design and best practices. The incumbent works within the Project Management Office on the project portfolio and works with all the TS departments and functional divisions while managing projects, emphasizing projects incorporating technology to support student success and teaching and learning. The incumbent will help develop and implement maturing project management policies and procedures as part of the Project Management Office. This incumbent will develop a thorough understanding of TS services and how they each support projects. The incumbent will create a project culture that empowers everyone involved and lead the development of a high-performance project team through supervision, training, coaching, and mentoring. The incumbent will work in alignment with campus-wide and organizational goals. All TS employees should be familiar with the mission of the University, the University Strategic Plan, and the campus information technology strategic plan. This position will work 8 – 5 or equivalent schedules based on business needs. This position may work some evenings and weekends to meet deadlines, address business needs, or meet service levels. They will also facilitate relationships with internal and external stakeholders and use effective communication to ensure successful relationships and service delivery.
- Working knowledge of Project Management.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate events and/or projects.
- Knowledge of information technology systems and/or applications, access procedures, networks, and/or databases.
- Knowledge of training theory and practices demonstrated by an ability to develop and deliver technical training and user documentation.
- Ability to integrate multiple applications and/or systems, analyze data requirements and research data availability and access methods.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills in working with users to interpret needs and provide appropriate solutions.
- Demonstrated ability in business process management, business analysis skills, tools, and techniques.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, speaking, facilitation, and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to write business requirements, functional specifications, process and procedures documentation, and manuals.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with multiple project deadlines; ability to adapt to change, prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated personal accountability and creative problem-solving skills.
- Interpersonal, and communication skills, including ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and ability to collaborate across organizational lines.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
- Minimum two (2) years of business analysis work.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field of study.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Five years of experience as Project Manager using project and portfolio management software (for example, Microsoft Project Server, Innotas, Team Dynamix, etc.) for documenting, storing, and sharing project information, plans and schedules, team information, issues, risks, and communications.
- Experience leading projects using technology to support student success.
- Experience leading projects that involve aspects of IT Governance such as web governance, data governance, etc.
- Experience working with users, leaders, and decision-makers to ensure strategic and effective decision-making occurs in process and project work.
- Familiarity with agile project management concepts.
- Demonstrated experience in producing project management metrics to measure progress and performance.
- Demonstrated experience successfully working with Information Security, Networking, and other IT departments to plan for proper system and security design during project planning and execution.
- Demonstrated understanding and applicable experience of higher education organizational structures and mission.
- Demonstrated knowledge of change management frameworks (Kotter, Lewin Bridge, and/or Prosci’s ADKAR).
- Demonstrated experience with software testing: unit testing, integration testing, system testing, sanity testing, smoke testing, interface testing, regression testing, and Beta/Acceptance testing.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain knowledge and documentation of operational and system processes.
- Ability to effectively present process improvement ideas, alternative solutions, and workflow concepts in applicable written or presentation formats such as Context Diagrams, Use Cases, Workflow, and Swim Lane Diagrams.
Technology Services is dedicated to providing a broad range of technology-based planning, resources and services to the students, faculty and staff of California State University, Fresno.
Deadline & Application Instructions
This position is open until filled with an initial application review date of November 14, 2023.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
COVID19 Vaccination Policy
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, it is strongly recommended that all employees who are accessing office and campus facilities follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications. Questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)