California State University, Fresno
College of Arts & Humanities
Department of Art, Design and Art History
Fall 2024 (August 2024)
The College of Arts and Humanities and the Department of Art, Design & Art History at California State University, Fresno are seeking an innovative designer with a strong commitment to teaching, sophisticated graphic design skills, a record of incorporating new technologies in the design field and significant professional experience. The successful candidate will teach lower and upper-division courses of graphic design within a Graphic Design BFA program. Specific assignments will depend on department needs. Outcomes assessment, service learning, and project-based learning are important components of the university curriculum. Faculty members are expected to engage in service activities at all levels of the university and provide academic and professional advice to students. The successful candidate will be expected to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with faculty, staff, and administration. Other duties will include, but not be limited to, participating in program development, actively engaging in research and/or creative problem-solving activities and committee service at all levels of university governance.
Our Students: California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Required Education (from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent.):
- An earned M.F.A. with an emphasis in Graphic Design or related field from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of two years of significant and relevant professional experience in the graphic design field
- A strong online portfolio demonstrating knowledge and skills indicative of the field of Graphic Design
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Expertise in current graphic design applications
- Experience and insight into the traditional and contemporary methods of graphic design, including both theoretical and practical/applied aspects
- Expertise and insight into the digital craft of graphic design as applied to screen-rendered media, such as websites, user interface design, and motion graphics
- Knowledge of current and foundational theories, and applications in methods as it applies to the Graphic Design field
- A background in the historic, cultural and social evolution of Graphic Design from both a technical and artistic perspective
- Significant and relevant corporate, agency, or freelance design experience for clients
- College teaching experience
- A record of active participation or leadership roles in relevant professional organizations
- Experience with curriculum development, knowledge and application of contemporary theories and pedagogy in Graphic Design, Typography and User Experience Design
- Demonstrate aspects of experimental or research design experience
Application Procedures: To ensure full consideration, applicants should submit all application materials by the review date. The committee may elect to review applications submitted after this date. This position automatically closes on March 31, 2024. Note: All positions at Fresno State are subject to funding availability.
Application Review Date: January 29, 2023
Apply online at: http://careers.csufresno.edu
Attach the following:
- Letter of interest or cover letter addressing required experience and preferred qualifications
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Current CV
- Unofficial transcript
- Names and contact information of three references
- A link to a portfolio website with examples demonstrating the applicant's skills and proficiencies related to this position, as well as examples of work by previous students, where applicable. The portfolio website needs to be accessible for evaluation during the entire search process. Finalists will be reviewed again during a time window to be determined by the search committee
- Statement addressing your commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
Candidates invited for an on-campus visit must submit by mail/e-mail within the designated deadline. The Search Chair will send information and requests for these items:
- Three current letters of recommendation (dated within 12 months of full consideration date.)
- Official transcripts
Committee Information and Search process:
Search Chair: Martin Valencia, Search Committee Chair
Department of Art, Design and Art History
College of Arts & Humanities
Email: Email: email@example.com
About Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is an engaged university. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Fresno State is committed and dedicated to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect, and ethical behavior.
Fresno State is designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI). The university has had a strong history of service and preparation of educators since the institution’s founding as a Normal School in 1911. Fresno State is ranked sixth in the nation for social mobility in the Wall Street Journal/College Pulse 2024 Best Colleges. Fresno State is ranked 26th in the nation by Washington Monthly for social mobility, research, and promoting public service. The campus is classified as an R2 university (Doctoral Universities – High Research Activity) per the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education
Tenure-track faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the university’s Probationary Plan Process. For additional information, please visit www.fresnostate.edu/academics/facultyaffairs/procedures/facultyrtp. The campus also supports faculty success through services provided by the Office of IDEAS (https://academics.fresnostate.edu/ideas).
Commensurate with qualifications and experience the anticipated hiring salary is $6,000 per month for Assistant Professor (12 monthly payments per academic year). As a member of the 23-campus CSU System, we offer an extremely competitive benefits package.
About the College and Department:
The Department of Art, Design & Art History provides the skills and understanding, humanistic values and cultural awareness that form the foundation of knowledge in the visual arts. The department offers programs in ne and applied areas of visual art that engage students in inquiry and discovery. These programs help prepare students to be artists, historians of art, designers, educators, and informed and thoughtful citizens in the community and in a global society.
In alignment with the university and College of Arts and Humanities mission and vision statements, the Department of Art, Design & Art History strives to prepare students for lifelong learning by implementing bold, focused strategies designed to maximize access and success for our diverse student body. In collaboration with our community partners, we provide a transformative educational experience that prepares students to serve and to lead in the Central Valley, the state, and beyond. Our programs are structured to provide students the knowledge and experience to succeed in careers in the field of Art and Design. We strive to enhance teaching and learning through best practices, innovative programming, and high impact experiences.
Further information can be found at our website: https://cah.fresnostate.edu/artanddesign/index.html
The Fresno State campus sits in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley, a valley rich in the traditions and representation of Native American peoples and cultures. We are grateful to be in the traditional homelands of the Yokuts and Mono peoples, whose diverse tribal communities share stewardship over this land.
Other Campus Information:
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. Any offer of employment may be withdrawn, or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements outlined in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
COVID19 Vaccination Policy
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, it is strongly recommended that all employees who are accessing office and campus facilities follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications.
Out of State Employment
Per CSU-wide policy (HR2021-04), all faculty who will begin initial employment (or return from a 12-month break in service) on or after January 1, 2022 are required to perform their work from within the State of California. Faculty hired prior to January 1, 2022 must be available to perform work in the State of California if their assignment is in-person.