Field Operations Technician
(Equipment/Systems Specialist - Career)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $3,625 - $4,166 per month
Full CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,625 - $7,216 per month
- This is a full-time (equivalent to 40 hours per week), probationary, non-exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 15 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Under the general direction of an appropriate administrator or the guidance of another recommended Information Technology (IT) professional, the Equipment / Systems Specialist is primarily responsible for infrastructure and technical field support, including the installation, maintenance, modification and repair of campus structured cabling, telephony systems and adjunct equipment. Installation and minor maintenance of wired and wireless networking components and uninterruptible power supplies is also considered a primary area of responsibility.
The technician serving in this capacity acts as one of the primary infrastructure field support resources for the campus community as well as outside vendors. Additionally, the technician is expected to work relatively independently and possess the experience and aptitude to perform most, or all of the work assignments defined for their position.
- Knowledge of:
- ANSI/TIA/EIA cabling standards.
- Infrastructure testing equipment such as network multi-meters and OTDR.
- Materials, methods, and techniques used in the completion of equipment service assignments. Adept at using required tools, including computer systems, to accomplish tasks.
- Applicable industry and safety codes and/or standards that apply to work environment and equipment.
- Digital and analog theories (or related technical areas) and ability to apply these in resolving equipment repair and system performance problems.
- Machine tooling capability and/or ability to work at the component level to use operating system features and network protocols.
- Equipment operation thresholds and optimal performance levels.
- May possess specialized vendor training or licenses as required.
- Has the technical understanding to work with vendors and/or subject experts in system programming to isolate and solve equipment related problems.
- Cable and wiring standards as defined by the institution and industry standards and configure systems to meet requirements.
- Ability to:
- Assemble components and parts, and/or cable or wiring, by reading and interpreting reference manuals and schematics.
- Differentiate between hardware and software problems.
- Use a variety of test equipment and diagnostic software to ensure system operation.
- Track system performance and ensure system/equipment reliability.
- Read and understand technical manuals and related documentation for equipment/systems that interconnect with or interface to installed equipment base.
- Physically install and configure equipment, connections, wiring and cable as required working from layout, blueprints, or plans.
- Utilize specialized software utilities and features in assigned equipment, and install and configure standard software.
- Create system layout and develop operating procedures.
- Prepare network diagrams or system schematics with an understanding of component functionality.
- Use common package application programs.
- Work effectively with all levels of the University and the general public from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Appropriately maintain confidentiality of data files, data elements, and personal information.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- An associate of arts degree in electronics, telecommunications, or industrial technology or equivalent education, training, and/or directly related experience.
- At least three years of directly related experience demonstrating the requisite skill set and competence in the specialty field.
- Equivalent to two years of journey-level or skilled experience in the installation and maintenance of structured low-voltage cabling.
- Preferred Skills:
- Experience with Avaya telephony equipment and maintenance.
- Experience with the AVST Voice Messaging platform.
- Experience with both ISDN PRI and BRI service.
Technology Services is dedicated to providing a broad range of technology-based planning, resources and services to the students, faculty and staff of California State University, Fresno.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by February 11, 2024 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
COVID19 Vaccination Policy
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, it is strongly recommended that all employees who are accessing office and campus facilities follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications. Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)