Instructional Student Assistant for the Department of Food Sciences and Nutrition
Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology
The Department of Food Sciences and Nutrition is seeking Instructional Student Assistant (ISA) applicants.
Anticipated Appointment Dates: This position is opened until filled. If you have applied and no other positions are available, you will be notified.
Spring 2021: January - May 2021
Fall 2021: August 17 - December 22, 2021
Spring 2022: January 18 - May 21, 2022
Hours Per Week: 0-20 hours, dependent on
Job Duties may include the following, but will be dependent upon the specific course to which the teaching associate will be assigned, as well as upon the specific needs of the faculty member in charge of the course:
- Provide instructional support to assigned instructor in the Food Science and Nutrition Department by making copies or scanning papers in a variety of FSN courses,
- Assist the instructor in the laboratories, and/or perform other duties as assigned by the Department Chair in consultation with an appropriate faculty member.
- Attend ISA orientation as needed
- Graduate standing in Food Sciences and Nutrition
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Must have completed course in which opening exists
- Demonstrated commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff and students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic background,
- Preferred Experience: Expertise in a closely related-related discipline
Application Procedures: The review of applications will begin immediately and may continue for next semester. Closing date is March 22, 2022. The following documents are required to upload:
1. Curriculum Vita, or résumé. Your Curriculum Vita, or CV, is the academic equivalent of a résumé. It should contain your contact information, your employment and educational history, skills such as computer programming, familiarity with commonly used computer programs, as well as internships, awards, volunteer service, training and any other experience you have that is relevant to education.
2. Current unofficial transcripts from your undergraduate and graduate education. If you have attended more than one institution, please copy and combine these transcripts into one document.
- How to submit your unofficial transcripts
- If you are a Fresno State student: Sign into https://my.fresnostate.edu. Access your Unofficial Transcript. Highlight all text throughout the document, copy it and paste it into a word processor document, and save the document with your name somewhere in the file name.
- If you are not yet a Fresno State student: Most U.S. universities allow students to access their academic records online, in a way similar to the way described above for Fresno State students. Contact your institution’s registrar to find out how to access your unofficial transcript and follow the process described above. If you have transcripts from more than one institution, please copy them all and paste them into one document, as PageUp only allows one document to be uploaded into the link for transcripts. Make certain that each institution is clearly indicated within this document.
Finalists may be asked for an interview.
Inquiries contact: Steven Pao, Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
|Instruction Student Assistant additional information regarding assignment:
The California State University Instructional Student Assistant Classification and Standards
- Evaluations: ISA's may be evaluated per CBA, Unit 11, Article 8
- Salary: Each department has different salary scales. Please check with your department for your Base Salary. The monthly salary is calculated based on the Weighted Teaching Units assigned.
- Salary Schedule: The salary schedule can be found on the Faculty Affairs website here.
- Assignments: Assignments are made by Department Chair or Program Coordinator after consultation with the teaching associate.
- Duties Form: Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement for Unit 11, a Duties Form (see Appendix E of the CBA) will be completed between the Department and Academic Student Employee. This form substantiates the jobs included for the department teaching associate position.
- Instructional Student Assistant is a student position for those matriculated at Fresno State.
- Students are limited to 20-hours of part-time work on campus.
About the Campus
California State University, Fresno, is a forward-looking and diverse institution located in California’s Central Valley, known for its agriculture, reasonable housing costs, cultural diversity, and proximity to Yosemite National Park and the Sierra Nevada.
The Fresno State campus sits in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley, a valley rich in the traditions and representation of Native American peoples and cultures. We are grateful to be in the traditional homelands of the Yokuts and Mono peoples, whose diverse tribal communities share stewardship over this land.
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community are expected to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect, and ethical behavior, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity The campus is ranked 24th in the nation by Washington Monthly; ranked 3rd by U.S. News & World Report in graduation rate performance for public institutions; and, ranked 41st in the nation in MONEY Magazines 50 Best Public Colleges.
Fresno State’s Principles of Community
These Principles were developed collaboratively by faculty, staff, and administrators. They exemplify what we aspire to be. Find out more about our Principles of Community at: https://fresnostate.edu/president/strategic-plan/principles-of-community.html
We all play a role in fostering an inclusive work and learning environment of respect, kindness, collaboration, and accountability where every member of the student body, faculty, staff, and administration can thrive. Our Principles of Community reflect our core values of Discovery, Diversity, and Distinction as well as our deep commitment to our mission "to boldly educate and empower students for success."
California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Other Campus Information
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. An offer of employment may be withdrawn or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.