Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $4,600 - $5,600 per month
Full CSU Classification Salary Range: $4,452 - $8,592 per month
- This is a full-time, probationary, exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 15 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
This position reports directly to the General Accounting and Reporting Manager and is a member of Accounting Services. Accounting Services is under the Division of Administrative Services which reports to the Vice President of Administration and Chief Financial Officer. Positions in this classification require a thorough knowledge of financial record-keeping methods, procedures, and practices, and knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). May provide technical and/or work direction to other employees. This position performs a wide variety of duties requiring considerable judgment, initiative, and independence. Incumbents in this classification devise new methods, modify and document established procedures based on precedent and university policies and develop new procedures as necessary; work with subject matter requiring technical expertise; and resolve difficult and unusual problems.
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); office methods and procedures; statistical and mathematical presentation of data; advanced proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems.
- Knowledge of fund (governmental) accounting.
- Knowledge of monthly and annual closing processes.
- Knowledge of daily, monthly, and annual accounting procedures.
- Knowledge of integrated financial systems; including entering transactions, analysis, querying, and reporting.
- Experience with personal computers and application software; word processing, spreadsheet, database, and email
- Understanding of internal control methods.
- Working knowledge of governmental accounting methods and related laws, rules, and regulations.
- Be knowledgeable of University policies and procedures and keep current on relevant changes to policies, new policies, and procedures.
- A history of regular attendance and positive performance appraisals.
- Apply accounting principles to the analysis of complex accounting problems.
- Analyze and interpret accounting, financial, and statistical data and draw sound conclusions.
- Prepare clear, accurate financial statements and reports.
- Utilize problem-solving techniques in finding solutions to complex accounting problems.
- Use independent judgment and initiative in organizing and determining the priority, methods, scope, format, staff, and actions necessary to perform and complete duties.
- Interpret, understand, and apply applicable instructions, rules, regulations, policies, and principles.
- Ensure compliance and apply the University’s policies and procedures when performing duties.
- Make sound decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities.
- Communicate effectively with others inside and outside the unit, including conveying technical information to non-Accountants.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Operate personal computers and office machines.
- Use automated accounting systems.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field OR a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Equivalent of two years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience using PeopleSoft Finance or other computerized accounting systems.
- California State University or other higher education experience or other government experience.
- Proficient at using advanced Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word features.
- Demonstrated history of providing excellent Customer Service.
The University Controller/Accounting Services Office is dedicated to facilitating the primary mission of the University by seeking the most cost-effective methods of delivering services while continuing to implement improvement of services to students, faculty, staff, and all other customers.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by February 21, 2024 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
COVID19 Vaccination Policy
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, it is strongly recommended that all employees who are accessing office and campus facilities follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications. Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)