Senior Admissions Specialist
(Student Services Professional II)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary: $4,610 per month
Full CSU Classification Salary Range: $4,610 - $6,556 per month
- This is a full-time, probationary, exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director and oversight of the First-time Freshman Lead, the Senior Admissions Specialist serves as the assistant to the lead and participates in the implementation of the university's admissions program. The incumbent is responsible for reviewing and evaluating documents for admission and making final admission decisions for an assigned caseload of files. The incumbent works independently and advises students regarding admission requirements for undergraduate admission and recommends paths toward admission. Processing of admissions applications is conducted in accordance with CSU admission policies and Title 5 of the State of California Code of Regulations. Incumbent will independently plan to complete work by assigned departmental due date; have both interviewing and counseling techniques to speak and meet with students who have individual questions; and sound judgment to recommend solutions to problems and changes in program procedures. The incumbent will also act as spokesperson within the area of expertise.
- Demonstrated knowledge of student development and resources to promote student success.
- Working knowledge of the methods and problems of organization and program management.
- Knowledge of research, counseling, and interviewing techniques.
- Knowledge of the principles of individual and group behavior.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and major trends in a university admissions office or equivalent.
- Knowledge of computer office systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, systems, and software packages (Microsoft Office Suite, Google applications).
- Thorough knowledge of correct English grammar, spelling and punctuation, and ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Skill/Ability to:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated professionalism, and ability to work as part of a team and contribute to a collegial environment.
- Effectively organize and manage multiple tasks in a fast paced team-oriented environment and maintain flexibility in response to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct workshops, presentations and training.
- Understand and abide with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and State of California policy regarding the confidentiality of records.
- Be responsive, innovative, results oriented and student centered in helping students fulfill their academic program requirements and meeting campus goals.
- Create and maintain program records and provide data for review in developing and implementing strategies and activities to support student success.
- Ability to serve as a resource to students, staff and the community in responding to inquiries and providing detailed information concerning campus news and events.
- Interpret, explain and apply a wide variety of complex policies and procedures related to admission and transfer credit practices in higher education and General Education requirements for baccalaureate majors at Fresno State.
- Gather and analyze data; reason logically, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Present clear and concise information orally and in written reports.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, CSU administrators, student organizations and other private and public agencies.
- Advise students regarding admission and transfer credit practices and respond to inquiries from campus academic advisors, faculty, and high school and college counselors.
- Ability to foster an inclusive workplace and work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and across organizational lines.
- Understand higher education grading systems, GE and applicable CSU Board of Trustee regulations.
- Develop creative admissions solutions for applicants utilizing knowledge of CSU admission policies for making up course deficiencies including GE coursework and exams authorized in lieu of courses.
- Make independent admission decisions, exercise sound judgment, and meet production expectations with minimal supervision.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field.
- Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities of the position may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field.
- A master's degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of professional experience.
- Preferred Skills:
- Professional working experience in a university admissions department.
- Understands the need for deadlines and continuous workflow.
- Has demonstrated the mission of of the University.
- Works collaboratively with leadership to ensure goals and objectives are being met.
- Detailed knowledge of admissions processes start to finish.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a project.
- Data entry experience in a complex student data system, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience with processing transcripts or admission applications in a complex workflow environment.
- Experience with updating status of transcripts, test scores, and other documents in PeopleSoft or other complex student data system.
- Experience with handling inquiries from the public that involves researching status of documents in a complex workflow environment.
Every member of our admissions team, from our director to each campus tour guide, is excited to welcome you to our Bulldog Family. Our dedicated professionals will help guide you through the admissions process.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by December 14, 2022 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)