User Experience Designer
(Analyst/Programmer - Foundation)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $4,584- $5,209 per month
Full CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,713 - $7,149 per month
- This is a full-time (equivalent to 40 hours per week), probationary, non-exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Working under the direction of the Director of Digital Transformation and Innovation Officer, the Analyst/Programmer will proactively develop and design new digital experiences and improvements of existing experiences to enhance user engagement in various areas, including web, mobile, desktop, hardware interfaces, physical environments, and person-to-person interactions at Fresno State. The UX analyst will use effective communication to facilitate the requirements gathering, execution and completion of projects.
- Knowledge of interaction designs and ability to troubleshoot using HTML, CSS, and comparable languages.
- Knowledge of the design, administration, and support of Omni Web CMS.
- Knowledge of the design, administration, and support of Modo Labs mobile platform.
- Knowledge of accessibility testing in accordance with Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act and the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) and analyzes results.
- Ability to conduct needs assessments and user research, including interviews, surveys, focus groups, and data collection.
- Ability to create sketches, proofs, prototypes, mock-ups, wireframes, user journey maps, and other visual aids.
- Proficient with visual design programs such as Adobe Suite (XD, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc), Sketch, InVision, Marvel, and Figma.
- Ability to evaluate the efficacy of prototypes and projects through usability testing and feedback collection and iterate on designs based on user feedback.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to communicate ideas to developers.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with people of diverse backgrounds, collaborate across organizational lines and work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to demonstrate problem-solving skills and seek to optimize data for the best possible outcome.
- Organizational and time-management skills with the ability to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks and projects under competing deadlines and maintain flexibility in response to constantly shifting priorities.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, human-computer interaction, interaction design, or a related field.
- 2 or more years of working experience in Web design.
- Experience with usability testing and UX design principles.
- Preferred Skills:
- Master’s degree in design or computer-related programs such as Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), interaction design, Graphic Information Technology, or related discipline.
- Experience in supporting High Impact Practices, such as Project-based Learning and Internship programs.
- Excellent emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
- Excellent ability to work and communicate with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience working in higher education.
Technology Services provides administrative information services, core services, and desktop support to the Fresno State community. Our department consists of a well-trained team of individuals dedicated to providing effective technology and quality services and support that are integrated into the daily activities of the entire campus.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by March 26, 2023 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)